Tuesday, June 8, 2010

War of the Department & Drug Store Mascaras: MAC Opulash vs Maybelline Colossal Volume Express

I am always on the hunt for the perfect mascara, whether it be from a drugstore or a department store. Since I was blessed with long lashes, I generally search for a voluming mascara. I am currently in love with MAC Opulash. I was bragging to my sister about how great it makes my lashes look, when she told me to try Maybelline Colossal Volume Express to see if I liked it also. So I did. I must say, it's not bad for a drugstore mascara and it gave my beloved Opulash a run for it's money.
Maybelline Colossal Volume Express in Glam Black
The brush is larger and fatter than your normal mascara brush. It is more full in the middle, then has a slight taper toward the end. I found it hard to get my inner lashes coated with this brush. The formula is nice, though I found it a little thin for my taste. It dries fast which means you must work quickly between coats. I did not find it clumped at all and made my lashes feel soft, almost natural. It did a great job separating my lashes, although I did not feel it thickened them at all. It did an okay job of curling my lashes, but not a great job though. This retails for $7.49 at drugstores.






MAC Opulash in Bad, Bad, Black
This also has a larger than normal brush. It has more of a taper on the end so I'm able to get my inner lashes better. The formula for this mascara is great. It does not dry too fast so I am able to take a little more time between coats. I did find it could get a little clumpy if you're not careful. It also does an excellent job of separating my lashes and it thickens them quite nicely. I found that it curls my lashes way better than the Maybelline mascara. My lashes were slightly more stiff with Opulash, but I think that is why it holds curl better. This retails for $14 at department stores and freestanding MAC stores.


MAC on left, Maybelline on right (2 coats of each)


The Verdict: While they both do an excellent job of separating lashes, MAC Opulash slightly edges out Maybelline Colossal Volume Express simply because it curls and thickens lashes better. However, Maybelline is great affordable alternative if you can't see yourself spending $14 for mascara!

No comments:

Post a Comment